For any seafarer, splicing rope is an essential skill. But the traditional 3-strand rope is fast disappearing. So how do you splice braided rope? This is the definitive guide to this crucial skill.
Most of the techniques are quite easy to master - and also fun to do. See why splices are better - and stronger - than knots or shackles for joining or shortening rope, and follow the step-by-step photographs and clear instructions to find out how to splice efficiently. Learn how to:
- make strong, reliable splices in braided rope
- select ropes in the materials that best suit your on-board requirements
- customise your ropes to make your setup easier and safer
- optimise your deck layout and save weight on board
- taper your sheets for ease of handling
- splice an extra cover on your ropes to give better grip in clutches, avoid chafe and make them last longer
While a knot can reduce the strength of a rope by as much as 50%, a well-spliced rope loses only 5-10%.
The techniques, insights and suggestions within these pages will be invaluable to all boaters, whether recreational or commercial.
Monday - Sunday: 10:00 - 17:00
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.